Many colleges and companies have Personal Interviews (PI) and Group Discussion (GD) as the main selection criteria. We have described many tips and tricks on Personal Interview (PI) in our previous articles. In this article we are going to talk about Group Discussion. The main difference between both is that PI is a one to one communication whereas GD is many to many communication . The purpose to conduct GD is to determine the candidate as a team player.The other way,GD is also used as mass elimination.GD is a barometer to measure the social and economic awareness of the player.There are few other things like the viewpoints of different candidates can be known . Group Discussion stimulates to think in a different way!
Thinks to keep in mind in a Group Discussion-
1.Be as natural as possible. Do not try to be someone you are not. Be yourself. In an attempt to be someone else, your opinions will not be portrayed.
2.Sit with a straight and confident posture.
3.Be assertive yet humble. You need to stick to your values and beliefs, but learn to respect the values and opinions of others too.
4.Grab the opportunity to speak first, i.e. to start the group discussion with your opinion. It generally leaves a good impression on the evaluator, but take the move only if you have complete knowledge of the subject.
5.Do not repeat a point, or be lengthy or irrelevant. Also intervene, if someone else is going on an irrelevant track.
6.Facilitate contribution from others. Do not just go on and on and on with only your opinionated view. Remember, it is a group discussion. Allow others to speak too.
7.Make an eye contact with all the participants. It creates more room for conversation. Also keep nodding, when others speak, it shows receptivity.
8.Be an active and dynamic participant. The examiner wants to hear you speak. So do put forth your views.
9.Be positive and prepare your thoughts well but do not be over-confident.
10.Think well before you speak. You are being heard and judged upon.
11.When raising an objection to a point kept by another speaker, back it up with a solid reason to get the point across.
12.Use quotes, facts and figures, statements, everyday life examples to express a clear chain of thoughts. Also it might leave a good impression on the examiner and help you score well.
Do’s and Dont’s of a GD:
1) Keep eye contact while speaking: Do not look at the evaluators only. Keep eye contact with every team member while speaking.
2)Comprehend:Make sure you understand the topic Speaking without proper subject knowledge is bad impression.
3) Allow others to speak:Do not interrupt anyone in-between while speaking. Even if you don’t agree with his/her thoughts do not snatch their chance to speak. Instead make some notes and clear the points when it’s your turn.
4) Speak clearly:Speak politely and clearly. Use simple and understandable words while speaking. Don’t be too aggressive if you are disagreeing with someone. Express your feelings calmly and politely.
5) Make sure to bring the discussion on track:If by any means group is distracting from the topic or goal then simply take initiative to bring the discussion on the track. Make all group members aware that you all need to come to some conclusion at the end of the discussion. So stick to the topic.
6) Positive attitude:Be confident. Do not try to dominate anyone. Keep positive body language. Show interest in discussion.
7) Speak sensibly:Do not speak just to increase your speaking time. Don’t worry even if you speak less. Your thoughts should be sensible and relevant instead of irrelevant speech.
8 ) Listen carefully to others:Speak less and listen more! Pay attention while others are speaking. This will make coherent discussion and you will get involved in the group positively. You will surely make people agree with you.
9) No need to go into much details:Some basic subject analysis is sufficient. No need to mention exact figures while giving any reference. You have limited time so be precise and convey your thoughts in short and simple language.
10) Formal dressing:Do not take it casually. No fancy and funny dressing. You should be comfortable while speaking in group. Positive gesture and body language will make your work easy.
Be polite and clear.All the best!