Mizoram, Centre sign MOU for first medical college
Mizoram is set to get its first medical college after a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between the Centre and state government, according to state Health Minister Lal Thanzara.
Addressing the annual conference of the Mizoram Government Doctors’ Association (MGDA), Thanzara said Mizoram would soon have a medical college and the civil hospital in Aizawl would be upgraded with Rs 45 crore. A multi-disciplinary research unit would be established at Falkawn near Aizawl, according to PTI.
MBBS aspirants from the state will be applying for admissions on the basis of scores of the All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT) 2014 which is to be conducted by CBSE in May 2014. A total of nine medical colleges are available in the neighboring states of Manipur, Tripura and Assam.
Medical Colleges in Manipur
1. Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences, Porompet, Imphal: 100 seats
2. Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal: 100 seats
Medical Colleges in Tripura
1. Agartala Government Medical College, Agartala: 100 seats
2. Tripura Medical College and Dr. B R A M Teaching Hospital, Agartala: 100 seats
Medical Colleges in Assam
1. Assam Medial College, Dibrugarh: 170 seats
2. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College, Barpeta, Assam: 100 seats
3. Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati: 156 seats
4. Jorhat Medical College & Hospital , Jorhat: 100 seats
5. Silchar Medical College, Silchar: 100 seats
Efforts were being made for establishment of a tertiary Cancer Care Centre at Zemabawk near Aizawl, Mizoram Health Minister Lal Thanzara added.